How – A direct lung inhale involves drawing the vapour straight down into the lungs, much like breathing in deeply or sucking the air from a balloon. This way dense vapour quickly fills the lungs, similar to the sensation of using a shisha pipe. This draw method is most commonly associated with sub-ohm vaping.
Results – DLI gives a more intense hit than MTL, which many vapers find more satisfying but can sometimes feel overwhelming. Best results require heating the e-liquid at high temperatures so you need to draw quickly to avoid a hot vape. As a result, the throat hit is more intense so levels of PG and nicotine need to be reduced appropriately. If cloudchasing is your thing, DLI is the key to producing thick billowing clouds of vapour.
Equipment – An optimum direct lung hit requires a vape mod with an RDA or sub-ohm tank, such as the Kanger Subtank or Smok TFV4. Subsequently, this means a juice that’s high in VG and low in PG. Nicotine levels of 6mg and below are advised, to counter the increased intake of vapour and resulting throat hit. It is possible to lung inhale with plus-ohm coils but it’s less common as the vapour production is less and the sensation more muted.
- Satisfying – A direct lung hit is more powerful than mouth to lung. This can feel more fulfilling, particularly for smokers and ex-smokers who want a more striking throat hit.
- Clouds – DLI is the best method for producing thick plumes of vapour.
- Stealth-vaping– When using a high ohm coil, taking a deep lung hit and holding it in for a few seconds makes the vapour dissipate before you exhale. Useful if you want your vaping to be low-key.
- Risk – This form of inhale brings added risks. You need to draw quickly to keep the vape cool, and tweak your level of PG and nicotine to avoid harsh throat hits. Make sure your e-juice doesn’t run dry as a lung hit of burnt cotton is the stuff of vaping nightmares. DLI requires some basic knowledge of vaping, so isn’t recommended for beginners.
- Overwhelming – A direct lung hit can sometimes feel overpowering as you’re taking in more vapour in one hit, along with nicotine. It’s less relaxed and casual than MTL.
- Limitations – This method reduces your flexibility when it comes to PG and nicotine. Reduced levels of each are required to avoid a harsh throat hit.